
After bartending in the lobby last night I went in and saw the show. The orchestra level was full of a definite older crowd which i would say has been a challenge; for a musical like tick,tick...BOOM! it definitely appeals to a younger audience...its a rock musical for crying out loud! I'll fully admit it: I was not loooking forward to this show at all. I thought it was some washed up musical that came way before Jonathan Larson's Magnum Opus of RENT...the first draft, like a wrinkled shirt. There was no way that this was going to be a good show in my obnoxious mind two months ago.
As I sat down in the theatre, the whole show's premise won me over. This will be my life! I thought, I will have to worry about not getting cast, if I can make rent, how to waitress on top of going to auditions, how to pay my student loans! As the minutes passed I felt like an idiot for my former feeling of doubt and fell more in love with the characters at the same time. Susan's maternal clock was ticking, Jon just wanted to be rewarded for his talent and hard work, and Michael wanted to take advantage of what little life he had left. It was sad, funny, inspiring, and delightful and I am both dreading and looking forward to having the same experiences in New York three years from now.
Also, the casts' voices were AMAZING. so talented! I definitely felt inferior to say the least. I just got such a desire to perform and I cannot wait until I can return the favor on stage.
0 comments:
Post a Comment